‘Tis the season – a whole new season of League of Legends – which can mean a fresh start or a painful blow to your rankings. How can you make sure to put your best foot forward now that Season 5 has started?
1. Bro, do you even Jungle?
Patch 5.1 has had major effects on Jungling in League of Legends Season 5. You can review the list of changes to the Jungle here, but the important bits are:
- Changes to Dragon and Baron buffs – Baron buff no longer gives health/mana regeneration effects, but instead reduces recall time, increases health regen and movement speed after recall, and greatly buffs nearby minions, making Baron buff incredibly powerful in lane. Instead of giving gold, the Dragon buff now gives powerful, permanent bonuses based on the number of stacked Dragon Slayer buffs you have.
- Each Jungle camp’s big minion now provides a unique buff
- New Jungle minion, Rift Scuttler, provides vision in river and a speed buff
- Jungle camps’ HP, attack damage, gold and experience have been increased 20%
2. Get to know the patches.
Patches 5.1 and 5.2 have included other important changes that will affect gameplay. Among them:
- Towers have been buffed (a lot)
- Bases have gates that allow defenders to pass
- Numerous changes to champions and their abilities – make sure you know any changes to your favorites
- Elixirs revamped with new mechanics and buffs
- Deathfire Grasp and Blackfire Torch have been removed from the game
- Attack-move commands cause you to attack while stealthed (breaking stealth)
- These are the important ones, but better safe than sorry – make sure you review all of the changes for 5.1 and 5.2
3. Learn the changes to the Summoner’s Rift.
Most changes to the Summoner’s Rift are cosmetic, but that doesn’t mean they don’t matter – make sure you’re paying close attention to your champion’s position, as some of your old visual cues may have changed. In addition, there are some changes that have an effect on actual gameplay. Some of the walls have been made thicker, not to mention the addition of base gates (as referred to above) and all of the changes to the Jungle.
4. Ditch your bad old habits.
Let’s be real – if you did poorly in Season 4, there’s probably a reason, and you probably know what it is. Take a look at your playstyle and try to turn over a new leaf in Season 5. Do you consistently get greedy in lane and push too far? Do you go for ridiculous, gimmicky item builds when you know better? Play conservatively, watch the map, and learn from your mistakes; your vigilance will pay off with a better ranking in the new season!
5. If you start to suck, find a coach.
All of the changes can be a lot to take in. Everyone’s starting over again, but once your elo drops, it can be hard to recover. Hiring a LoL coach can help take the edge off of the adjustment period – or if you don’t want to shell out the cash for a professional coach (it can be hard to justify spending money on a free-to-play game), find a willing friend to join you and watch you play, or see if anyone is offering coaching in the Riot forums or on Reddit.